Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Home Work

You know starting a home business is never very easy, especially when you actually started it two years ago this month and are still trying to get your feet off the ground.

I can't complain about what I sell because I believe Usborne is the GREATEST, and leading, children's educational publisher. I love the books and know that most moms do as well.

I guess my issue is, besides setting goals, is that I really got in the business to help a friend and I've never really looked into helping myself. Let me explain what had happened.

A friend from my Church sent an email out asking if anyone wanted to host a show. She had just had her third child, trust me you would be envious if you've ever seen her kids, they are so cute! Any ways, she was trying to get back into her business and was looking for a few good hostesses.

The bleeding heart that I am in addition to my lack of ability to say the word "no" I readily jumped in and offered to host. My friend did a whole lot of the work and before I knew it my night was upon us.

I have to admit everyone had a great time, why wouldn't they, I made my world famous won tons after all. They also got a lot of great books!

Now as to my night, I pretty much spent the night filling cups and plates...and kept a very close eye on my dining room carpet. I will definitely have to explain that one later. So, imagine my surprise when after every one had left my friend asked me for my wish list.

Quickly, I thought...quickly come with something logical that sounds like you know exactly what she is talking about...ahh Divine intervention. I remembered seeing a color palette or something like that, and told her that was all I wanted.

Now, of course I had a wish list, who wouldn't...I was just stupid enough to believe, yes really, that I had to pay for these books...which is really why I didn't have more than one item on my list. I was after all trying to stick to a budget.

It's not that the books were expensive, actually most of the books in the catalog are under $10.00...now, who can't afford that!? I did get a bunch of free and discounted books and thought hey, my job is done.

I was really surprised when my friend asked me if I ever thought about recruiting to Usborne. Ah, honestly no. Can you imagine me getting up in front of a room and talking to people about myself...well, absolutely not!

The next day, I signed!

I had a really GREAT incentive period and I love the fact that Usborne has no minimum monthly sale requirements to meet. All they asked for was for me to sell $80 in books during my first three months. Hey, I did a whole bunch more than that at my first show!

So now, here I am two years later, trying to stay at it all the while with a smile on my face...ahhh.

Now, about those goals....hmmmmmmm oh oh.

No comments: